Saturday 24 January 2015

A little about myself


New Year, First entry. I feel a lot of pressure with this first post, what should I say? Will anyone actually read me? This feels like it should be really important but, 6 months from now, what will be the importance of this post?

So let’s start with a little bit about myself.
I am a wife to an extremely comprehensive husband and the mom of 3 amazing teenagers. A young man of 19 and a couple of boy/girl twins of 15. I started sewing costumes 6 years ago when my daughter decided she wanted to audition for her school’s Nutcracker. She dances at Ballet Ouest de Montreal and every year they put together the Nutcracker and the children’s roles are open to their students and any who wish to audition. If your child is chosen, a parent is required to volunteer their time in one of the different committees, sewing/costume department is one of the choices. I wasn’t going to pick sewing that first year , as I hadn’t touched a sewing machine in at least 20 years but one of the mothers convinced me that if I could sew a button I could certainly help. The rest is history. I have been on the comity ever since and in 2014 I was asked to be the Costume Manager and go on tour with the company. I have met amazing people over the years and will for ever be grateful to Marie St-Amour who taught me how to make a professional tutu. I think of her often and will “hear” her sometimes when I am unsure of something saying” if it doesn’t show from 3rd row it's fine! “ 

 
Sewing has become more than a hobby for me, it has transformed into a passion! I make my daughter’s leotards and all her dance attire. I came up with my version of the warm up suit that I sell locally. Dancing at the level my girl is at is very costly. She is part of what we call Sport Etude where they go to school from 8 am to 12 and then head over to the dance school where they dance from 1 to 4 and sometimes until 9 pm. The cost of pointe shoes, competition and costume fees quickly adds up. Any money saved is a plus at this time.

I have, on top of all the sewing, a full time job at Sennheiser Canada, I like to keep busy! I love our pets and live in one of the
suburbs of Montreal. As this blog is brand new, I can't promise I will update it every week but I certainly will update it every time I have a new sewing or costuming project! Hope you'll stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment